It’s a Matter of Taste

We went grocery shopping yesterday.  To speed up the process, Sean runs ahead and grabs things while I start in the produce area.  He frequently takes the two older girls with while Penny hangs out in the Bjorn with me.

Yesterday, they came back to the cart with a few extras.  Sean let them each pick out one thing.    Fortunately, we shop at Whole Foods, so even the junk food isn’t too terrible.  Ella, wisely, choose a box of Elmo baby crackers.  Samantha’s eye caught on a cereal box with a beautiful picture of the cereal full of fresh strawberries and blueberries.  The label:   Simply Fiber Cinnamon.  Sean says he told her  it didn’t come with the fruit and she still wanted it.

Here are the stats on the cereal.   Ingredients:  Wheat Bran, Whole Grain Corn Flour, Whole Grain Wheat Fiber, Corn Bran, Cinnamon.  Calories per 3/4 cup serving:  100, Dietary fiber:  14 g,  Sugar:  0.

Now, I’m all for healthy cereal.  We live on Cheerios.  But no sugar and that much fiber?  That can’t taste good.  I can see eating it if you are in some serious need of fiber for health reasons, or if you lost all your taste buds in an accident, but otherwise, not so much.

This morning Samantha wanted her new cereal.  I gave her a couple pieces to try to make sure she really liked it.  She said no.  Ella decided she wanted the new stuff too.  So I poured them both a bowl of it.  I then poured myself some Cheerios.  After about two minutes, Samantha said she wanted Cheerios.  So did Ella.  Samantha told me she didn’t like her cereal.

I decided I had to try some before I composted it all.  I believe I can accurately describe the taste.  First, take your cinnamon and smell it.  Don’t taste it, just smell it.  Now, with the smell still in your nose, grab the nearest piece of cardboard and eat it.  That, my friends, is what Simply Fiber cinnamon tastes like.   We’re going to see if the turtle likes it.

9 Responses to “It’s a Matter of Taste”

1. Kassie says:

Hahaha, what a great story!
    .-= Kassie´s last blog ..Happiness Project =-.

2. Rachel says:

Well you did say the turtle needs more fiber… sounds perfect!! :)

3. Alyna, Better Your Blog
    Twitter: BetterYourBlog

Lol! So funny! Great linking to another post within this one.

I meant to let you know, if you need hay for Delilah, you can get BIG boxes of it from Oxbow Hay. I used to buy hay this way for my Guinea pigs. It was cheaper to buy a huge box and have it around than to buy it in the store. And it is sold by weight so you are getting a lot, it just seemed to keep expanding… :-)

Fiber One has some tasty (really!) cereals. Their bars are yummy too. Of course, they have a little something sweet to make the fiber go down more smoothly. Lol!
    .-= Alyna, Better Your Blog´s last blog ..Pro Mistake =-.

@Alyna Thanks! I do need a source of big hay, I’ll look into it. I’ve had some good fiber full cereals in the past, but they all have a little something sweet added, like you said. I couldn’t believe this one had nothing!

4. veronica lee says:

Love the story. LOL!

Have a nice day!
    .-= veronica lee´s last blog ..Massimo Gammacurta =-.

5. Wanderlust
    Twitter: Wanderlust_lust

Hence the heavily fruited-up serving suggestion, I’m guessing. Congrats on your new URL. I got my own about a month ago too. Felt good to get rid of the blogspot address. Thanks for the blogflow follow!
    .-= Wanderlust´s last blog ..Writing it out =-.

6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your latest follower on your NEW site! Very cute blog. Can’t wait to read more.

Jenny
    .-= Jenny Yankovich´s last blog ..The most frustrating thing at the pool =-.

7. Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud
    Twitter: TweetingMama

Wow! Just reading about all the fiber in that cereal gives me the urge to “go”. lol You know, I think you’re right…that cereal must’ve been made for people who’ve lost their tastebuds in an accident. lol
    Thanks for stopping by my place and commenting on my OH NO HE DIDN’T! post. It’s always nice to meet a new SITSta! Have a fabulous day.

Kristi, Live and Love…Out Loud
    @TweetingMama
    .-= Kristi {at} Live and Love…Out Loud´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – Memories of Summer =-.

8. TornadoTwos says:

HAHAHA- Perfect description! Thanks for visiting my blog today, I’m following you back.
    .-= TornadoTwos´s last blog ..I Don’t Even Know What to Say About This One =-.