There’s a green revolution going on and I’ve been noticing it affecting the way a lot of moms well, mother. It seems there is a trend to getting back to a more natural, earthy way of life, to consciously being earth friendly, to teaching our kids to be conscious of their actions. Basically, I’ve noticed a lot of moms out there are kind of hippies with a new twist. While we may not be staging protests and burning our bras, and we sure aren’t going to give up modern conveniences to live in a commune, we are trying to make a difference. I like to call them Urban Hippie Moms.
Here are signs you may be one.
1. You’ve ever breastfed in public. Not only do you recognize the health benefits of breastmilk, it’s important enough to you to make sure your baby gets breastmilk wherever you are, whenever he/she wants it. You probably have one of those cute cover-ups to drape over yourself.
2. You’re into babywearing. Not only is it great for your baby to be carried around, it’s practical, and frees your hands to do whatever you need to do, including using your Blackberry to Tweet about your baby’s amazing accomplishments. Moby, Ergo, Baby Bjorn, Mei Tei, Maya wraps, ring slings, you know what they are and own at least one, probably multiple, in colors that coordinate with your outfit. Your older children have their own for their dolls.
3. You Buy Organic Food. Even in these tough economic it’s important for you to feed your family food without chemicals on it. Maybe you buy most things organic or maybe you stick to the dirty dozen, but buying organic is one way you let the food industry know you care about what you put in your body and prefer it to be chemical free.
4. You Teach Your Kids to Be Green. Your kids have been recycling since they could sort. They wonder what those plastic bags are for at the grocery store, since you always bring your own cloth bags. They help you spread compost in the organic garden they helped plant. Being green is second nature to your kids because that’s all they know, they don’t have to think about it.
5. You Celebrate Earth Day. You have an Earth Day party and invite your friends and your kids’ friends. You and your kids have cute Earth Day themed shirts, possibly matching.
I certainly fall into this category. How about you?