Josh Young

Today is another story brought to you by the lovely ladies at the Red Dress Club.  You can read this week’s challenging prompt if you’d like.  As always, comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.  I promise to read everyone else’s entries as well, I just may be a little later than usual.  We will be going on a little trip this weekend and I may not have much computer time or internet access.  Five hours in the car with three girls four and under.  Prayers are also welcome and appreciated.

Oh, and there is some “mild language” in this one, so maybe PG-13, although, with kids today  maybe PG.

Also, since I have your attention, my giveaway for a cute bowl and some chips ends Sunday.  So enter if you’d like.

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Josh Young

I walked through the produce aisle at Ralph’s toward the check out, carrying my bottle of Pinot.  It was date night and my job was to bring the wine.  Dinner was waiting for me at home.   A sexy text message told me dessert was waiting too.

I heard my name.   I looked around and there, waving her hands like she was trying to land a plane, was my high school girlfriend, Keri.  She was a part of my life I‘d just as soon forget.  I’d moved on from Keri and our small town a long time ago.  But it was impossible to pretend I hadn’t seen her.  We were two of the only people in the store at eight o’clock on a Friday night.

“Hi, Keri,” I said as I walked up to her cart.  It was nearly full.  She was grabbing a small bag of salad and a bunch of bananas to place on top of the Marie Callander’s frozen dinners, chips, Diet Coke, and cookies that filled the rest of her cart.

“Josh Young!  Well, I thought it was you!” she exclaimed, a little bit of her Southern twang coming through.  “It’s been a long time.  How have you been?”

“Oh, you know, can’t complain,” I said, looking over her blonde pony tail toward the check out.  No one in the ten items or less lane.   Flower bunches wrapped in crinkly plastic and crammed together in black pots were right on my way.  Maybe I’d grab some.  Purple or yellow.   That would be sure to get me a little extra at home.

“You look fantastic!  You always did take care of yourself,” she paused.

“You look good too, Keri.  You haven’t changed a bit,” I said.

I lied.  Keri looked like hell.  She had squeezed her plump body into one of those trendy velour jogging suits.  A roll of skin pushed its way free and over her waistband.  She had the word “juicy” stretched across her ass.   No grown woman should go out of the house with words across her ass.  Eighteen year old debutante Keri would have howled with laughter, pointing, if we had spied such a pitiful creature while cruising around in my ‘85 silver Corvette.  That was a sweet car.  It hadn’t deserved its fate.   No way to prevent it though.  Honesty wasn’t always the best policy, especially in Texas.

“Can you believe it’s been fifteen years already?  You knew I went to college at SMU, right?  Well, Dallas just gave me a taste for city life, you know.  So when I graduated I decided to just go for it and got a job with a marketing firm here in L.A.  Boy was Daddy ever mad that I moved! You remember how mad he could get?”

Keri nudged me, her eyes sparkling.  Remembering, I’m sure, the night I got her home ten minutes after curfew and her Daddy came barreling out of the house with a baseball bat as soon as my car pulled up, screaming and hollering.  The shattering of my breaking headlights woke the neighbors. Good thing for me.  I owed my life to that car.

“He still thinks you deflowered me that night,” she laughed.  “Little does he know what a gentlemen you always were, despite me practically throwing myself at you.  My God, if he only knew.   You were practically like a brother” she laughed.

It was the same irritating tee hee  hee laugh she had in high school.  Appropriate for a high school cheerleader, not so much now.

“What have you been up to?  You went to UCLA right?  I guess you stayed here.  Looks like you’re married.”

I looked down at my left hand holding the wine bottle.  My silver wedding band gleamed against my dark skin.  I smiled.

“Yeah,” I said, “been married about two years now.”

“Not me,” Keri prattled on, “haven’t found Mr. Right yet, you know?  Still looking.  Although, I guess spending Friday night grocery shopping isn’t going to get me very far.”

She laughed again.    A cheerleader and a football player.  Of course we dated.  It was preordained.  We had nothing in common then, other than liking to party and running in the same social circles.   I guess I hadn’t lied.  She hadn’t changed at all.  High school doesn’t look good on thirty-five.

“Well, it was great running into you again, Keri,” I said.  “I’ve got to get home though.  Dinner’s waiting.”

“Oh, sure, sure,” she replied.  “Don’t let me keep you.   Your wife is probably wondering where you are.  It was great running into you again.  Say hi to your wife for me.  I’m sorry, I didn’t catch her name.”

“Brian,” I said and walked past her to the check out.

27 Responses to “Josh Young”

1. Alyna @ Better Your Blog
    Twitter: BetterYourBlog

Awesome!!! I only guessed the end because I’m always guessing endings. My boyfriend is always astounded when we watch shows together and hates for me to tell him but always wants to test me. You did it VERY well!

And this line: “No grown woman should go out of the house with words across her ass.” You know, I know this is a fictional story and all but boy, it is SO the truth. I will never forget a nearly forty year old woman I know wearing something like that and it was appalling. Not surprisingly, the way she chose to dress (childishly) also was the way she acted.

Can’t wait until next week!!! Have a great trip this weekend!

Thanks! I was hoping it wasn’t too obvious, but I think it may have been. This week was hard for me. And sometimes, there is a little truth in fiction. Example, dressing like an adult when you’re an adult. :)

2. jaded16 says:

Awesome as always. I love how you’ll twist the end around. A good read.

Keep writing.

3. Smee says:

I thought this was a great piece. Everyone had the footballer/cheerleader couple in school, and I know more than a few have gotten the same ending. :) I for one did NOT guess the ending, but I think it is perfect.

Good job!

Thanks! I have had a few high school classmates come out to me in the last 2 months who dated the opposite sex when we were in school, so it was kind of the inspiration for this.

4. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    Twitter: mommy_pants

You know, I think it was a very real story. I don’t even know if you needed the twist at the end. I think a lot of high school romances are based on what you were rather than WHO you were. Really liked it – thanks for joining in!

Thanks for the critique. :) I wasn’t sure if it really worked, although I couldn’t think of a different way to end it. I’ve been doing a lot of twists lately, so I think it’s becoming a not necessarily good habit. :)

5. Kerry
    Twitter: thebutlerway

Ha! it was subtle as I did not expect Brian to be the wife. great story!

6. I think you did a great job.

I don’t think it’s bad that we may have an inkling of the twist to come. I kind of wanted to see Keri’s reaction though :)

7. Christy
    Twitter: thinkinmommy

oh, I totally should have seen that coming, but I didn’t! you caught me completely by suprise, love it! (I see it now though).

I also love the line “High school doesn’t look good on thirty-five” awesome!

great job!

8. Leslie @ crunchybetty.com
    Twitter: crunchybetty

Jeezopee, Jessica. You have to promise NOT to stop these. Ever. As of today, I think I need them to function on a Friday.

You’ve such a knack for a twist. I LOVE that.

Hope you’re having a great weekend, miss you already! Mwah!

9. Kristy says:

That was GREAT! I thought you did dialogue very well, and I was seriously LOL when I read, I lied. Keri looked like hell. And then, he’s gay. That is just great! Most entertaining.

10. Aging Mommy says:

Well I didn’t guess the ending at all, I thought this was just about to teeter off into a total non-ending in fact and then wham! The punch line but then I read it over again and yes, there is the hint, his zero attempts to deflower the cheerleader :-)

You successfully describe people and situations very concisely and precisely and this definitely had all the sense of a man’s way of thinking and talking about it. I loved it – can’t wait to read more. Visiting from the Red Dress Club and am glad I did.

11. CDG says:

Nice bit about Juicy on the ass. Truth!
    Great last line. Just great.

12. Corinne
    Twitter: crnnoel

I also didn’t see it coming at all! But I loved every bit of this story :)

I loved it. I was totally not expecting the ending. It was refreshing and something I could relate too. Great job!

14. Diana
    Twitter: knzus

LOL! Love it! I ’bout fell off my seat when you said “Brian.”

And I have seen those women in their 40s who wear the words across their butts. Ugh.

Nice work! =)

15. erin
    Twitter: erinlynn76

FANTASTIC! I wasn’t anticipating that ending, but it was awesome. Also enjoyed the Juicy stretched across her ass. Loved all the details, the roll peeking out, etc.

16. Ericka @alabaster cow
    Twitter: alabastercow

Loved the twist! Very true to life!

17. Missy
    Twitter: MS_WonderFriend

Great job capturing high school romance, such that it often is. I felt like I knew these two!