Have A Nice Day

Sometimes I get a little glimpse of one of my girl’s future and I am just astounded.   Thursday was such a day.  The girls and I went for our afternoon walk as usual.  We took a little detour to the post office to mail a package.

When we were done, Ella grabbed the receipt.  We continued on our walk, Ella trailing behind me.  I looked back and she was holding the receipt up, pretending to read it and talking to herself.  So cute!  She was imitating Sean and I, checking the receipt for accuracy and to see how much money we had saved.

At that moment, I saw her in twenty years, graduating college as an accountant, a financial planner, or just being good with money.  I knew she was going to be okay.

We continued walking and I heard her spitting.  I turned and she was spitting on the stem of a leaf and smearing the spit on the receipt.  (It’s gross, I know, but she likes to “write” with spit, or just spit in general.)

I told her to stop it because the leaf was dirty and spitting is disgusting.  She continued, so I threatened to take away the leaf and receipt if she didn’t stop.  She handed me the receipt and said, “When we home, I make smiley face.”

Turns out, she wasn’t imitating Sean or I,  she was imitating the people at Costco who write smiley faces on our receipts when we exit.  Have a nice day.

11 Responses to “Have A Nice Day”

1. Kristy says:

Just wanted to let you know I gave you a shout out in my SITS comment today and linked back to your Josh Young post because I thought it was one of the best posts I read this week! :)

2. Diana
    Twitter: knzus

Awwww. Cute! In spite of the spit. LOL!

3. Aging Mommy says:

I wrote a post in April entitled Three Is A Magic Number and included a bit about going to the grocery store and watching my daughter push around her trolley and afterwards in the car asking me to be quiet as she was checking the receipt – just like I usually do.

What a lovely post – it really is quite fascinating watching these little people grow and trying to figure out what they might become.

4. erin
    Twitter: erinlynn76

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Those Costco smiley faces irritate me so much b/c I have once receipt and TWO girls who fight over it, even if they draw TWO smiley faces. grrrrr.

cute!

5. Daenel
    Twitter: DaenelT

LOL Cute story ~ even with the spit.

When you get a chance, pop by my blog and read the following post, there’s a little something for you at the end.

6. Fred
    Twitter: mochadad

I see glimpses of my children’s adult selves periodically. It frightens me sometimes, but I’m comforted by the fact that my wife and I are putting in the hard work now to help them be successful adults.

It does make you stop and assess if you’re doing what you need to help them become successful adults. We’re not really raising children. It’s more like growing adults.

7. lucy
    Twitter: lucilleinthesky

Kids do the darndest things, don’t they?! It’s awfully cute that your little girl was studying the receipt and talking to herself. I agree, she is definitely going to be ok!