World Breastfeeding Week

I learned from The Iowa Farmer’s Wife that August 1-7 is World Breastfeeding week.  I am a strong supporter of breastfeeding, so I thought I’d add my two cents.  Then Gisele Bundchen came out with her ridiculous statement, so I thought that needed to be addressed as well.

I have breastfed all three of my girls.  Sammy for 13 months, Ella for 14 months, and am currently breastfeeding Penny (7 1/2 months so far).

Breastmilk is the ideal food for a baby.  It provides antibodies to protect against diseases.  It’s economical.  And it’s a great bonding experience.

I’m very fortunate my girls came out knowing how to latch on.  All three were feeding within twenty minutes of being born.  I also produce well, so no problems with supply.  I’ve had a few blocked ducts, which hurt, but nothing serious.

I’m also very fortunate that I don’t have to work.  It makes breastfeeding so much easier.  I worked two days a week when Sammy was a baby, and my supply decreased just from that.  Fortunately, I had a stock pile of breastmilk in the freezer and was able to make it until after her first birthday.

So I’m all for breastfeeding.   I think everyone should give it a try and make an effort to do it.  It’s not easy for anyone the first few weeks.  I also think hospitals should make successful breastfeeding a priority and not push formula on new mothers.  Again, I was fortunate to give birth in two hospitals that do that.

But, that’s my opinion and my situation.  It doesn’t work like that for everyone.  If you can’t or don’t want to breastfeed, that’s your choice.  Everyone has to do what’s right for them, their children, and their situation.  It isn’t up to me, and it certainly isn’t up to Gisele Bundchen.

It really makes me mad when celebrities come out and criticize whole groups of women by making outlandish statements like formula feeding should be illegal.  Statements like that do nothing to encourage breastfeeding and simply inflame formula feeding moms (for good reason).

I think breastfeeding is great and it works for me.  But, if it doesn’t work for you, that’s great too.  We all do the best we can and what we think is right.     And no one has the right to criticize that or make someone feel inadequate for not breastfeeding.  That’s my rant for today.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Since it’s World Breastfeeding Week, I’m going to plug one of my favorite organizations, the International Breast Milk Project.  I found them when I was looking to donate my freezer full of unused milk that Ella wouldn’t drink (she would only take it straight from the tap, try though I might). They are a great organization.  Donating my milk was really easy.  So, if you’re wondering what to do with that extra milk,  or looking to support a good cause, give them a looky.

12 Responses to “World Breastfeeding Week”

1. MultipleMum says:

How marvellous! A lovely tribute to BFing. I stopped feeding my twins this evening (at 19.5 months). If I’d known it was International BF week, I’d have held out another couple of days lol. Who knows what tomorrow brings, but today they went to bed for the first time ever without a BF. I’m feeling a bit sad (and relieved) all in one. Happy BF!

2. Alexandra says:

I agree. Whatever works for you. We breastfed till 3 years old due to severe food allergies. Thank GOd for BF…what we would have done? They couldn’t even keep down the hypoallergenic stuff…

3. jaded16 says:

What I don’t get is the critique on mothers on EVERYTHING. I agree that whatever works best for the mother should be considered best instead of making sweeping generalisations about women who come from different classes, societal structures, races etc.

Exactly! I wish people would just mind their own business sometimes and just assume everyone is doing what they think is right and realize their is more than one opinion out there.

4. E. RaMona
    Twitter: iamErnee

Great post. I had to stop BFing my youngest daughter when she was just two weeks old because I was put on high BP meds, and struggled with not being able to BF her. I’m okay with it now and off of the medication, but I wish I could get that time back. I agree that whatever works best for any mother is all that matters and one group should never criticize the other.

5. Aging Mommy says:

I BF my daughter for 15 months and like your daughters mine was also born knowing how to latch on and was the gold awardee in the nursery at the hospital. She refused to ever take a bottle so was only ever BF. But I have to admit I did not enjoy the experience and had she taken to a bottle would have weaned her far sooner. I think every child is different – some do not latch easily or ever really take to BF. Every Mom is also different and their circumstances may or may not make it possible to BF. So I think all Moms need to do what they think is best for them and their child. Loving, caring for and nurturing your child, wanting the best in life for them, those are far more important things than whether or not you BF.

Absolutely, everyone is different. “Loving, caring for and nurturing your child, wanting the best in life for them, those are far more important things than whether or not you BF.” Well said.

6. Shelby says:

Okay boo to Gisele, but it looks like she did try to downplay her obnoxiousness!

I breastfed for 3 months with my first and I would like to breastfeed longer with my 2 month old! My hospital was so great in helping me with the breastfeeding, they didn’t push bottle feeding at all.

7. Daenel
    Twitter: DaenelT

I breast fed all of my children for varying amounts of time (I was in the Army with the first 3 and in college with the last one) and it wasn’t easy. Breast feeding the twins just about sucked the life out of me. Literally. LOL But I would never tell anyone that bottle feeding is wrong nor would I presume to liken it to abuse which is basically what Giselle is doing. When celebrities learn to exist in the real world with the rest of us, then their opinions will be worth something.

I can’t even imagine twins. My third is sucking my life out, so I’m impressed with anyone who did twins.

I think a lot of celebrities forget that not everyone has a nanny, personal chef, personal trainer, and can take their kids to work with them. It would make breastfeeding a lot easier if everyone had that. Sometimes, they just don’t think before opening their mouths.