New Home

As it is Friday, I am joining in on the Red Writing Hood meme over at the Red Dress Club.  This week’s prompt was, “For Friday’s meme, we’d like to work on dialogue. Craft a piece of short fiction featuring the dialogue between two people arguing. Focus more on the spoken language and less on setting details. Think “Hills Like White Elephants” by Hemingway.”  Ahh, Hemingway. I’m not quite there, but hope you enjoy it anyway.

New Home

Dan surveyed the room.  Bed made, reading glasses and pen on top of the crossword puzzle on the nightstand, family pictures lined up on the low dresser, clothes neatly arranged in the closet, crocheted pillows piled up on the chair in the corner.

“Well, that looks like everything.  I’m going to head out now.  Do you have everything?” he asked.

“No,” came the reply.

“It looks like everything’s in order?  What do you need?”

“My house,” she said.

Dan’s shoulders slumped.  He scratched his temple and smoothed his graying brown hair.

“Look, Mom, we’ve been through this.  You can’t live there anymore.  This is your home now.”

“No.  This is a room.  A home has more than one room and there aren’t a bunch of old people wandering around in it,” she said.

“This is a nice place, Mom.  You’ll make friends.  You can watch Jeopardy with them.  I saw some people playing cards out in the main area.  You like cards.  And, you don’t have to cook anymore.  It’s really going to be nice once you get used to it.”

She crossed her arms and slouched in her chair, squinting her rheumy blue eyes at her son.

“I don’t want to get used to it.  I don’t need any new friends and the food here stinks.  No taste at all.  You’d think they’d never heard of salt,” she said.

“I’m sure you can get some salt if you want,” Dan sighed.

“No I can’t!” she snapped.  “They won’t give me any because of my blood pressure.  If I want salt, I should be able to have salt.  What’s the worst that’ll happen?  I’ll die?  Save you and your lovely wife some trouble.”

“Mom. We’ve been over this.  You can’t live with us.  It just wouldn’t work.”

“No, we haven’t. I wasn’t part of that decision. It makes no sense to spend all this money here when I could live with you for free.  You have plenty of room in that big house of yours.  Maggie never did like me.  Cold hearted.  That’s what you are, cold hearted.  Abandoning me in this, this, place,” she said, waving her gnarled hand around the room.

“That’s enough!  This has nothing to do with Maggie or me being cold hearted and you know it.  You need more than we can provide for you at our home.  This is the best place for you.”

“I am not a child.  I am your mother and you owe me a little respect and consideration.  There is no reason I couldn’t stay with you.  No reason at all.  Except you don’t want me.  You just want to leave me here and forget all about me,” she turned her head away from him.

“Mom, you left a towel on top of the stove.  You almost burned down the house.  Look at your arm.”  He picked up her left arm, bandaged from the elbow to wrist and moved it in front of her face. “You’re burned, Mom. Burned. We can’t have you at our home because it’s not safe, Mom. It’s not safe.”

He set her arm back down and kissed her on the top of her head.

“I have to go now, Mom,” he said.  “I’ll call you tomorrow and see how you’re settling in.  I’ll be back next weekend to visit.  Okay?”

She didn’t look at him.

“Okay.  I’m going then. See you next weekend.  Love you.”

The door clicked closed as he left.  She rubbed her arm, stood up, and grabbed the crossword, pen, and reading glasses.  Then settled back into the chair.

28 Responses to “New Home”

1. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    Twitter: mommy_pants

I really, really liked the ending. It was like she was just giving him a hard time to do it, when really, she’s fine.

2. Kristy says:

I think my husband and his family have had that exact conversation with his grandparents at different times!

3. Casey
    Twitter: MaritimeMom

Wow, persuasive. Are we seeing some personal insight into your life?

Thanks. No personal insight, other than imagined. All our parents still live in their own homes and no one I know has set their house on fire yet. :)

4. Aging Mommy says:

I too liked the twist at the end. A great choice of dialogue, one that so very many families I know have at some point and never an easy one. I think you did a really good job.

5. Diana
    Twitter: knzus

I have actually heard of this happening to friends when it came time for them to make that difficult choice. I’m going to be totally opposite and WANT to go… so I can finally rest! LOL!

Excellent story, dear! Love the son’s side of the conversation, trying to make mom understand. A+ :)

Thanks! I love getting an A+! :) I agree, I would love someone to take care of me and get some rest. Maybe I’ll feel differently if I don’t make the decision.

6. Oh the guilt! What a tough conversation. I really liked the way you melded the dialogue and description.

7. Kerri says:

Such a fitting ending! Good for her for giving her son a hard time. She reminded me of my own Grandmother.

8. Veronica
    Twitter: mayangelstar

Stopping by from the Red Dress Club!

I really liked the way this dialogue flowed, right up until the very end. Her sadness carried through as well as his love for his mother. An argument that was hard on both of them..

Good job!

This was fantastic, it had a great flow to it, and I could definitely picture the conversation and the people having it. I love that she was fine in the end as well.

10. Nancy C
    Twitter: AwayWeGoNancy

This conversation hit home for me as well. If we’re not already having this conversation, we are probably practicing it in his head.

I think the reveal of the fire was especially well done. Up to that point, I could see both sides, and the bandage hit home that this was no longer something to be debated. It was an issues of safety…but I would love to see how this feisty lady shakes up that place!

11. Ash
    Twitter: AshatShades

Oh how I dread this day that is coming sooner than I want – hit so close to home.

The salt, such a simple pleasure removed – excellent example. Crossword puzzle at the end – that little dickens.

Excellent job, per usual though!

12. laschuelemaxim says:

Trainer Handbag Shops now feature women’s add-ons (wallets, aesthetic cases, footwear, bracelets, scarves, belts, hats, sunglasses, crucial rings, charms, and watches), as well as travel products (luggage, carriers, briefcases, as well as planners).
    Not just does the organization offer women’s collections, additionally td organization (stock change symbol COH).They also have offices within Japan, as well as nineteen additional countries.

Not just does the organization offer women’s collections, additionally they cater to men as well as babies too.But simply for fun, lets discuss the handbags available out of Coach.

Personal Stripe Style

The Reversible Journey Tote features an interior pocket, label for luggage, leather cut, and jacquard material.It is available in brass and khaki colors, and possibly deep red or profound blue pigments.This carrier sells for $400.

Soho Style

The Metallic Hobo includes a cell cellphone pocket, dusted suede along with leather cut, and much more.This hobo is available in brass and gold colorings, and retails with regard to $500.

Hampton Weekend break Style
    The actual Scarf Printing Demi features an outer pocket, squat top fastener, signature scarf fabric with suede and leather cut.This demi goes for $200.

You will find far more gorgeous purses available internet or within the outlet.So stop by, or stage and click, you’ll find something you prefer!

13. laschuelemaxim says:

e suitable prices somewhere else.
    This shows the strength of the net.Now, every one of the lowest prices decide for you looking for a simple click on.It will in addition give you quite a lot of insights.One widespread insight is actually that airfare usually price less early each day when compared with flights later through the night.Sometimes this is often the result of a flight that could be far out of full so decide to make sure you fill the item up even more.
    Some websites work with a certain strategy involving tickets on a wholesale cost.This allows the criminals to offer it at a lower cost.They also need to lower the price or they don’t be capable of geting rid with the tickets which they bought.With these types of sites you might wait so that the price drops eve suitable prices somewhere else.

Some websites work with a certain strategy involving tickets on a wholesale cost.This allows the criminals to offer it at a lower cost.They also need to lower the price or they don’t be capable of geting rid with the tickets which they bought.With these types of sites you might wait so that the price drops even on a particular ticket to some level you will be willing to spend.

There are tons of journey websites that offer you quite a few options on their search search engines.This lets you find long term future flights along with lower price ranges.Many within the sites might also give options which may notify an individual when confident tickets reach a particular price.

The Regular flyer programs could be an smart way to save cash too, but redeeming an individual’s miles requires a tad bit more diligence.Most flight companies will let go of just half the normal commission of their particular available bike seats to vacationers redeeming mileage, and they usually are available with regard to reservation leading to a departure time.For all of these reason it will always be advantageous to be able to booking prize programs go far before, and to remain flexible as they possibly can with your current travel programs.Also, several airlines could charge further for cell phone reservations with reward application travel, so it’s always far better to book these types of arrangement online if it is possible.

One a great deal more route to take into account is acquiring your airline tickets, hotel, and automotive rental all inside the same package deal.Many times this could reduce price to a lower price than in the event you buy each individually.Using a little effort and hard work and Shopping, you unquestionably can save a whole lot on your current airfare through booking on the web.I hope the airfare tips helps you, and also happy voyaging!

14. laschuelemaxim says:

Yet, there are few reservoirs together with greater density of crappie for use on your fishing happiness.La Cygne, including, is an electrical plant cooling lake, for example the turbulent waters are saved warm all year round, especially outside of the hot standard water outlet inside the south side.This means that the growing season within La Cygne continues over summer and winter, making your stock about game pike consistently higher.Kansas crappie fishing is definitely popular here with the large size for the fish thatFor anybody who is dead set with a big example of beauty, it’s located at its best on your behalf at Tumble River.

Yet, there are few reservoirs together with greater density of crappie for use on your fishing happiness.La Cygne, including, is an electrical plant cooling lake, for example the turbulent waters are saved warm all year round, especially outside of the hot standard water outlet inside the south side.This means that the growing season within La Cygne continues over summer and winter, making your stock about game pike consistently higher.Kansas crappie fishing is definitely popular here with the large size for the fish that could be caught, regardless if there are areas by having a higher density.

Most of the other considerable reservoirs a large number of renowned meant for crappie doing some fishing include Toronto, Melvern, together with Coffee Regional Lake, and even Council Grove Water tank, the last of which may sway yield smaller sized fish but boasts a sheer solidity level worth checking out.You could perhaps benefit through visits for you to other massive impoundments such as Perry, Pomona, Lovewell, together with Kanopolis.In actual fact, several of these areas considered made for KS crappie fishing are already noted regularly for several years as among the best lakes regarding crappie in the Great Plains.Although Clinton along with Kirwin won’t produce large quantities regarding crappie, they’re just excellent locations to discover good size true lunker crappie.

What plenty of people don’t understand is that among the best fishing in Kansas come in much less significant lakes plus reservoirs.Including, Ottawa Status Fishing Plaza and Sedan City Pond, both pretty small, own yielded crappie balancing over 2 pounds, any Bourbon SFL, under 100 acres larger, has samplings weighing nearby the same.In actual fact, most for the small places contain great variety of white crappie.