Susan Mallory

Susan wiped the hot tears that threatened to erupt down her face as she walked out of Pastor James’s office and back through the sanctuary.    A heel got caught in  the grout between the stones of the floor.  She stumbled, landing on her knees, tearing her stockings.  She got up and rushed out of the sanctuary.  The snow was still falling, harder and wetter now.  She pulled her scarf over her head to try to stay dry and rushed across the street dodging traffic.

Her apartment was four blocks away.  She hurried, sliding on the wet sidewalk.    She unlocked the front door to the building.  She rushed passed the elevators.  Cllimbing the smoke filled stairs the three floors to her apartment instead.

Standing on her cat shaped welcome mat, she opened the door and entered her apartment.  The smell of the litterbox meant she had neglected to clean the box again.  She sat down cross legged on her couch, not bothering to remove her jacket.  Her black cat, Baby, jumped into her lap and began head butting her face for attention.  She gathered him up to her and hugged him tightly.  He struggled against her, not wanting quite so much attention, and jumped down, knocking her purse over, and spilling the contents onto the floor.

“Ack.  Baby.” she said as she crouched to pick up the scant contents of her purse.

He licked his paw and began cleaning his ear in response.

She replaced her  housekeys, a box of Altoids, and some wadded up Kleenex.   Her overstuffed wallet had come unlatched, scattering coins and old receipts across the dirty carpet.  She began picking them up and came across a well worn picture.

The corners of her mouth turned up looking at the chubby baby.  Curly dark hair like his father, her hazel eyes.  She wondered if his eyes had changed color when he was older.   He looked surprised in the picture, his tongue poking out a little.  His little hands grasped the blue blanket he was wrapped in.   She had bought him that blanket at Goodwill a few weeks before he was born.  It cost her three dollars but was in good shape, no holes or stains.  It was the blanket she had wrapped him in when she left him at the church.

Susan turned to look at the same blanket draped over the back of the couch behind her.  It was still in good shape despite a layer of black cat fur.    Pastor James had given it back to her when she and Max had gone to ask for the baby back.  He had told her Henry’s  new family didn’t want it.  They had a whole nursery full of new furniture, clothes, and toys for the baby and didn’t need a used blanket.

Susan clutched the picture to her chest and walked over to  her computer. Someone, somewhere knew what had happened to her son.  She was going to find Henry, with or without Pastor James’s help.  She began typing.

24 Responses to “Susan Mallory”

1. Ratz says:

Oh Poor Susan! it must have been hard! i hope she finds the baby…

Knowing the pain of giving up a child, I am rooting for her. Is this part of your NaNo story? I hope to read more. I want to know if she finds him. I’m really not liking this priest much either.

3. cristina says:

how sad for her :)
    I hope she finds her baby

4. CDG
    Twitter: MoveOverMaryP

I loved best your description of traveling through the snow.

I felt it all, the memories of too many slushy, cold walks on city streets.

5. Carrie
    Twitter: Miss_Scarlett99

Poor Susan. I hope she can figure out what happened to her baby.

6. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    Twitter: flgirlmidwest

I am so proud of you for doing NaNowriMo!

7. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    Twitter: mommy_pants

I liked all the details and descriptions you used.

The first sentence, tho? About wiping tears that threatened to erupt? Aren’t they already out there if she’s wiping them?

I’m awfully nit-picky today! ;)

Not nit-picky at all. I cringed when I wrote that, (and more cringing when I reread it), but I’m taking my own advice and not editing this month. I’m doing a lot of cringing. :)

8. Nichole
    Twitter: ITSMoments

I have a million questions and I can’t wait to read all of the answers in upcoming segments.

I love that she named her cat Baby and that you didn’t draw attention to that.

I was sad when she wondered if her baby’s eyes had changed as he grew older. I can’t imagine that pain.

The only thing that jumps out at me is I was kind of surprised that she took the elevator after having fallen and slid. That’s so minor though!

Keep this story coming! I need more. :)

9. pam says:

can you tell I am new to this because I definitly did not put mine in a story, what in the world was I thinking.

No need to write fiction if that’s not what you felt like writing. A lot of people do for this meme, but a lot don’t. A lot didn’t for this prompt. It’s just about writing and wherever the prompt takes you and whatever you write is just fine. It’s just for fun. :)

10. Aging Mommy says:

Oh this is a sad read! I can’t wait to see where you take this one.

11. Jessica Anne says:

I’ve been writing a little dark/sad lately and this one seems to be going that way.

12. Nancy C
    Twitter: AwayWeGoNancy

This is a storyline that has serious legs. I can’t wait to read more.

13. I’m not sure why but this website is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see
    if the problem still exists.

Trackbacks

1. […] and Max has noticed.  He has just told her to let it go and move on.   You can read more about Susan Mallory here and see more of Max and Susan in yesterday’s post, Jingle Bell […]