Weaning Time

Penny turned one on Saturday, which means I have breastfed her for a year.  And I’m ready to be done now.  More than ready.  Jumping up and down ready.  Plotting how I’m going to burn my nursing bras ready.  Planning a shopping trip to buy new bras that might actually put the girls back up where they belong ready.  Okay, not enough underwire in the world, but I’ll settle for closer to my clavicle than my navel.  (There’s a store called The Wizard of Bras I want to go to.  If only because that is the best name ever for a store.) Really wishing I could go on a week long vacation and leave her to wean the hard way ready.  I’m over it.

I breastfed Sammy for 13 months and Ella for 14 months.    Had you asked me a few months ago, I would have said I might go 15 months with Penny.  Today, I’m wishing for 12 months, 0 days.  I am not enjoying it anymore at all.  It takes up too much time.  The older girls have learned Mommy can’t supervise very well when Penny’s eating and they’re really overstepping their boundaries during the five feedings a day.  And Penny is not acting like she has any inclination to stop.  She will not skip even one feeding, regardless of what we’re doing.  She may be distracted enough to not feed on time, but she insists on five feedings every day.  I’m worn out.   On top of that, she’s teething and I’m her favorite teething ring. Ouch. So I’m done.

I’m going to use the same tactic I did with the other two.  Drop one feeding a week and replace it with a cup of whole milk until she’s weaned.  It worked well with the other two.  I didn’t have crying or complaining.  And it worked well for me too.  No painful engorgement or blocked ducts to deal with.  I may step it up to every five days because I’m so over it.

I even have the experience of the baby who won’t drink milk.  Ella still doesn’t drink any milk.  I learned some kids don’t.  They eat cheese, yogurt, and take calcium supplements and it’s all good.

So, hopefully by mid-January Penny will be weaned and I keep my shirt down all day long.  My tummy will like that.  It gets cold.

9 Responses to “Weaning Time”

That’s how I weaned, dropping one feeding at a time. Though I did over 6 months bc the girls were older. I’m sure you and Penny will be fine, you know what you are doing. Don’t spend a lot on a new bra. The one I bought a month or two after weaning is much too big now. Wait 6 months or so before indulging in fancy
    underthings.

2. Debbi says:

Yay for weaning! I feel you on every little thing you just said. I was SO over nursing my son when we weaned. I did the same thing you are planning on doing, cutting out a nursing a week. The one I was dreading was before bed, but an extra book at night took care of that issue. I still get giddy when I look at my nursing bras and know that I don’t have to wear them…at least not for the next 6 months!

3. Moomser
    Twitter: moomser

My girl stopped breastfeeding on her own 2 days after her first birthday (3 weeks ago) and I was sooooo ready! But now, I miss it sometimes… Also, my old bras don’t fit anymore, so I’m still in nursing bras… I just can’t let go!

I wish mine would stop on her own. I know I’m going to miss it at some point, but right now I just want it over. I say time to buy new bras. Even if you miss it, you can’t love the nursing bras. :)

• Moomser
        Twitter: moomser

Hate the nursing bras, yet they’re strangely comfortable. Unfortunately, I live in the worst country in the world to buy bras in, hence am waiting for my first trip state-side so I can get me some decent bras. Also, some of my friends assure me that a few months after you’re done breastfeeding your boobs perk back up (slightly). Fact or myth, I don’t know, but I am hopeful… or naive… don’t know which.

4. NotJustAnotherJennifer
    Twitter: MidwestMomments

Both my girls stopped around the 6 month mark, just when they got their first tooth. I wanted to nurse for a year, but to be honest, I was a little relieved they didn’t want to with chompers. Good luck!

Thanks! It’s going okay but she doesn’t like cow’s milk. This is the first of three to do damage with the teeth. I wish she’d just decide she was done.