My Wedding Dress

My wedding dress was simple.  It wasn’t a big white dress with taffeta and lace and corsets that screamed bride when I walked into a room.  It was an off-white sheath dress with beaded straps and a light pink floral detail that ran along the top, down the side to my hip, then angled across the dress to the opposite side.  I bought it at Macy’s in the formal wear area for around two hundred dollars.   And it was just what I wanted.  I was married in it, barefoot on the beach in Kauai with ten guests, all close family members.  We had a larger reception when we got home and I wore the dress again.  Since then, five years ago in September, it has been hanging in my closet.

Some women have their wedding dresses hermetically sealed and stored for posterity or in the hopes that their daughters will someday wear their dresses.  I’m not one of those women.  I’m sentimental to a point, but I’m more practical.  My dress isn’t nice enough to be hermetically sealed.  My daughters likely won’t want to wear my dress.   It won’t fit, or it won’t be quite right in some other way.  And that’s how it should be.   I didn’t wear my mother’s dress.  Nor did my sister.  We each got our own dress that reflected the image of the bride we were.  That’s what I want for my daughter’s.  That they choose a wedding dress that reflects them as a woman and a bride and makes them feel like a princess for a day.  I want them to wear a dress that makes them want to twirl and dance with their new husbands and puts a glow on their face.

So that leaves my dress, hanging in the closet.  It is a formal dress.  In theory, I could wear it to a formal event.  It still fits.  (I do try it on from time to time.)  But I won’t.  It’s my wedding dress.  It would seem strange to go out, even for a nice evening, in my wedding dress.  Even though it doesn’t look like a typical wedding dress and no one would guess it had been to Kauai with me.  So it hangs in my closet.

But I could give it away.  One of my resolutions this year is to get organized, and that means getting rid of a lot of clutter.  I went through my closet and filled a few large bags for charity already.  And there was my dress, hanging in the garment bag from Macy’s.

I go through my closet a few times a year and when I come to my wedding dress, I think about giving it away.  Maybe someone could use a formal dress, maybe someone could use a wedding dress, maybe some snotty college kid could use a Halloween costume.  It’s doing nothing in my closet but taking up room.   So I think about giving it away.  I think this time might be the time it goes.

What do you think?  Have you saved your wedding dress?  Would you ever give yours away?  Should I get rid of mine?

My Wedding Dress, out for a little air

12 Responses to “My Wedding Dress”

Could you have it hemmed for a costume for the kids? Or have a fancy dinner for the kids and wear it?
    My girls have been asking to see my dress for ages and I’ve been very lazy. Mostly I am afraid that I won’t be able to get it on.

2. AZLB
    Twitter: azlb

it is gorgeous…what about dying it another color so you could wear it now and it not be so wedding? you could shorten it too if you wanted.

Good ideas. The other thing is I never go anywhere that requires formal attire. At this point, I don’t go anywhere that jeans aren’t okay (and spit up stains) :).

3. Kate
    Twitter: KateCMarcus

I donated mine to a volunteer theater group that performs in schools, but it was a more costume-y dress than yours. Still!

4. Leslie
    Twitter: crunchybetty

Oooh, I LOVE your dress! It beats the crazy sequined, floofy thing I wore (I was 19 and didn’t know better).

I love the idea of reusing it somehow – especially as a costume for the girls. You could turn it into something GREAT for Halloween somehow.

On one hand, I want to say that we shouldn’t “cling” to THINGS from the past, but let them go and celebrate the memory.

On the other hand, it’s a beautiful dress and doesn’t take up much room. So what’s the harm?

Barefoot in Hawaii on the beach. With 10 people there.

Sounds like heaven.

5. Jessica Anne says:

It was heaven.

It would make a fantastic Halloween costume.

True, it doesn’t take up much room, but I don’t have much room.

Decisions, decisions. :)

6. Moomser
    Twitter: moomser

I wouldn’t know what to suggest… I still have mine, I don’t fit into it anymore, but I love it, so… there it sits, in a box. If you do manage to get rid of it I’ll try and follow your example, need to get rid of some clutter this year too!

Oh, that’s a lot of pressure. :) Keep it if you love it, it is sentimental. I just don’t feel that strongly about mine, although maybe I do since I have yet to give it away or cut it up for costumes.

7. Casey
    Twitter: MaritimeMom

Its been a month since you posted this. What did you decide? My guess…its still hanging in the closet! Although the various ideas people suggested are wonderful, what if you had a 5th or 10th anniversary in Hawaii? What ever would you wear? I have an idea… :-)
    Casey´s last post ..Smiley Valentine Cookies- A Yummy Review!