Dinner In

“Wow. What’s the occasion?”

“What do you mean? There’s no occasion.”

“Calm down. I only meant it looks nice.  You went all out, candles and everything.”

“Oh. Thanks.”

“And it’s clean. I don’t think I’ve ever seen your apartment so clean. There’s not even a dirty sock on the floor.”

“Okay, that’s enough.”

“Oh, don’t get all upset. I was just teasing a little.  I don’t see what the problem is.”

“Can’t a guy do something nice for his girl every once in a while? Forget it. Let’s not fight tonight. Dinner’s ready. This way.”

“I know where the table is.  Nice tablecloth.  I didn’t know you owned one. What are we having? It doesn’t smell like pizza.”

“I told you I was making dinner.”

“I know that’s what you said. I just didn’t really expect you’d actually cook.  I had no idea you could cook.”

“Well, I can.  Chicken parmesan, my mom’s recipe.  And a salad and bread.  I didn’t make the bread.  But I did make the chocolate cake for dessert.”

“Looks good.  Thanks.”

“Well?”

“Well what?”

“How is it?”

“It’s good, thanks.”

“You’re awfully quiet tonight.  Is something wrong?”

“No. Well, yes and no.  Listen, Mark, we have to talk.”

“Ooo, sounds serious.”

“We’ve been dating two years now.”

“Two years and four months.”

“Right.  Well, there comes a point in a relationship where you have to ask yourself where is this going?”

“That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking about too.”

“It is?”

“Yeah. I mean this is the longest relationship I’ve ever been in.  And, well, you know.”

“No, what?”

“I love you.”

“Oh, Mark.”

“Why are you walking away?  Come sit down.  Don’t cry. You know I love you. That’s not the first time I’ve said it.”

“Stop it. You’re not making this any easier.”

“I don’t understand?”

“Get up off your knees and sit down for a minute. Listen.  I think we both know this isn’t working out. We fight all the time. We really don’t have anything in common.  Not really.  Come on, Mark. Don’t be like that.  There’s no need to throw a perfectly good cake in the trash.”

“ I don’t believe you’re breaking up with me.”

“Mark. You had to see this coming. I mean, really, we’re just too different.  It was fun, but it would never work out. Not seriously.”

“I think it could.  Why don’t we give it a try? I can change, be more responsible, act like a grown up. Maybe I’ll go back to school or something, get a job wearing a monkey suit somewhere.  That’d be a kick, huh? Me in a tie?”

“I think you should do that. It’d be good for you.  I just can’t be a part of it.”

“Bea, come on. You can give it a little more time.  Just a little more.  Look at this place. I clean up real nice.”

“I’m sorry, Mark, but I’m in love with someone else.”

“You bitch! You’ve been sneaking around on me with that pencil pushing dweeb from your office, haven’t you!”

“That’s it. This is what I’m talking about. Who throws dishes like that? I’m out of here.”

“Goddamn bitch has me digging around in this fucking trash. The pawn shop better buy this ring back after I get the chocolate off.”

**This was post is part of the Red Writing Hood meme from the Red Dress Club. This week’s prompt was to write a post using solely dialogue.

40 Responses to “Dinner In”

1. Carrie
    Twitter: Miss_Scarlett99

Well! I think it is a shame the cake was ruined. It sounded delicious :)

2. Tonya says:

Yikes. That poor cake. And ring. I hope MArk moves on to bigger and better.

Wow. You had me all pissed off at her in the beginning with all her nitpicking at him when he was trying to do something nice. Then, so quickly with just a couple of sentences from her, BOOM! You show his true nature. I managed to envision everything from just the dialogue. VERY well done. I love it.

I wonder what happens to these characters?

4. Lorrie No
    Twitter: Moogirl

Nice story. I think the girl is acting more of a bitch than the guy. I want to know more. :)

5. Nancy C
    Twitter: AwayWeGoNancy

Ditto what DramaMama said. I HATED her at first. Then, I could see how she was protecting herself from a bona fide abuser. Yikes.

6. cristina says:

whoa, I was thinking at first she was such a jerk, but he wasn’t much better, was he? good one!

He’ll never get all the chocolate off that ring. And besides- a gooey chocolate ring isn’t exactly romantic.

8. Jennifer says:

I loved that the roles were reversed in this piece, that it was him making dinner, that she was leaving him, that she seemed like the more put together one. Although, it might be hard to resist a guy who can make a chocolate cake, until he threw it out of course.

9. Tracie
    Twitter: fromtracie

Good for her for getting out before she went any deeper in that relationship. He clearly has issues (she has a few too, but his are scarier)

The chocolate lover in me wishes that she would have just grabbed the cake and run…but that doesn’t make for as good of a story.

10. NotJustAnotherJennifer
    Twitter: MidwestMomments

Nice job with the assignment! I like how you led us through the physical location at the beginning. Could have used a bit more of that in the second half, but the action in the dialogue was very telling. Great ending. :)

11. Stacey says:

I knew he was going to propose! But it really did come across as a bad idea in the long run. I’m thinkin’ the girl was right to be done. Great dialogue! Stopping by from RWH.

12. Florida Girl Meets the Midwest
    Twitter: flgirlmidwest

Ah well. Break-ups are never easy. If cleaning up his dirty socks was his best effort then he was probably doomed from the beginning.

13. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    Twitter: mommy_pants

Ditto what everyone said, about her being very unlikeable at first. Although, I still think she’s not particularly likable. And you go from feeling sorry for him to disliking him. Can’t believe they lasted two years!

Okay, why am I all worked up about this? Must’ve been a good job!

14. Theresa Sonoda
    Twitter: tsonoda

Even though he was a loser and he threw a major fit in the end, I still felt a little sorry for the poor schmuck. LOL
    Good story!

15. Veronica
    Twitter: mayangelstar

Wow, good thing she called it off! He turned into a psycho!
    Veronica´s last post ..School Daze

16. varunner7 says:

I don’t know – I didn’t think she was that unlikeable at first – just that she was guarded and watching out for herself. Can’t blame a girl for that. Nice job!
    varunner7´s last post ..The Montenegro Method – Fitness DVD Review

17. erin margolin
    Twitter: erinlynn76

I feel sorry for both of them—that they both wasted /invested so much time in the relationship!! I want to know more, though.
    erin margolin´s last post ..Being a Woman- Being a Mom

18. Ilana
    Twitter: Mommyshorts

Wow. Good thing that relationship is over. Sounds like they both have to work on some personal issues before getting involved with someone again!

19. The_BMG
    Twitter: The_BMG

I love how you could learn everything you needed to know without any description at all. I suck at that kind of dialogue! Great job!

I wanted it to keep going. To find out what happened to them. Like so many others have said, I didn’t like her at first because he was obviously trying so hard, but then I ended up understanding why she was the way she was.
    The_BMG´s last post ..Whateryoudoin

Thanks! It’s not usually how I do dialogue, with no description at all, so I’m glad it seems to have worked. I wanted to stay true to the assignment, but it was hard!

20. amber says:

oooh, good job. Good for her on getting out of there too. That probably would have been the last time he ever cooked for her.