Warm Velvet

“Go ahead, you can touch it,” I say to everyone who comes over to our house.  “It feels like warm velvet.”

Most people wrinkle their noses.

“Really?”

I nod. Then they reach out their hand. The other held in tight to their chest, ready to make a quick escape.

“It’s really hot!” they say and start petting.  Soon, they are met with a head butting into their hand, demanding more. The rat-like tail whipping back and forth.

The warmth always surprises.  An animal’s normal body temperature is between 100 and 102 degrees, but it’s not something normally felt through  fur.  Without fur it feels like a hot water bottle, warm and comforting.  Always cold, they’re like heat seeking missiles.  They curl up in your lap if you sit down or wiggle under the covers to lay next to you while you sleep.

I’ve always wanted a hairless pet. I like the way they feel. I like how their skin moves, loose and free over their bodies when you pet them.  I like to watch them move around, appreciating the contraction and lengthening of their muscles, the way their bones articulate with each other.

I thought I’d never have one.  I’m  against buying animals.  I adopt all my pets and always will.  The only way I’ll get an animal is if someone else decides to give it up. No one gives up a hairless pet.   So when my husband came home and said one of his coworkers needed to find a new home for her Sphinx, I couldn’t say no.  I finally had my hairless pet.

Alex has taken over the house.  I have a blanket I put on the bed that he squirrels under in the early morning and  late afternoon when the temperature drops.  In the middle of the day he’s either perched in our bedroom window or laying in front of the sliding glass door to the backyard soaking up the sun.  At night, he jumps on the blanket I’m wrapped in watching television and kneads and pulls until a corner comes up.  He shimmies under the covers and finds somewhere to curl up on top of me, purring.  He is more affectionate than my needy dog, constantly seeking attention and rewarding a few simple pats with sonorous purrs. He’s also very tolerant of little hands pulling his tail as it sways back and forth off the edge of the couch.

He may be ugly at first glance, but once you get to know him, he’s beautiful.

Alex

This week’s assignment is to write a short piece, either fiction or non-fiction, about something ugly – and find the beauty in it. Concrit is welcomed and appreciated.

26 Responses to “Warm Velvet”

1. Ilana @ mommyshorts
    Twitter: Mommyshorts

Well isn’t it nice that you two found each other! I am not a cat person. Or a pet person for that matter. But I can see the love and beauty in your words. He’s a lucky Sphinx!
    Ilana @ mommyshorts´s last post ..Three Week Recap- Dependency- Breakdowns &amp A Little Pageantry

2. Ratz says:

I think you both were made for one another… I am sorry Jessica…. i don’t have a good chemistry with cats but if you say, i’ll give it a try… lovely post though… i liked the way you have mentioned about what you wanted… and the change that Sphinx has brought in your life… beautiful
    Ratz´s last post ..Ugly-Beautiful Edited

3. Lizz says:

I do think you have to get to know a naked cat to really love them! A friend of mine has a pair of them (Lucy and Ethel) and they freaked me out a little at first, but now I think they’re adorable and SO social! And just think of the lack of cat hair! LOL
    Lizz´s last post ..I Will

4. Jennifer says:

I love him! It’s funny, in my mind I know the facts about animal’s body temperatures but until reading this it never really occurred to me how much warmer hairless pets must feel. Your love for Alex and his obvious adoration for you came out so clearly here.
    Jennifer´s last post ..Caught in Amber

I love Sphinx cats!!! You are SO lucky.
    The Drama Mama´s last post ..The Not So Wicked Neighbor Witch

6. Leighann
    Twitter: MultitaskMumma

Awww I love him.
    I didn’t know any of this about hairless animals
    Wonderful

7. Evonne
    Twitter: _MamaJules_

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I do like this post. I never realized how warm hairless animals can be. You can tell what a beautiful creature Alex is through your post.
    Evonne´s last post ..Questions from a tired mind

8. Mel says:

I like your descriptive details about your cat. Also, as an animal lover, the piece just tickles me:)
    Mel´s last post ..Red Writing Hood- Ugly-Beauty

9. Kristi says:

You had me at “Go ahead, you can touch it.” :) I just HAD to keep reading! Really great post…glad I read it. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog….now I know where YOU are. Became a follower. :)

10. Jessica
    Twitter: fourplusanangel

I have to admit when you said “hairless pet” I scrunched up my nose. I’m not an animal lover but this post almost made me want to meet your cat. Almost.
    Jessica´s last post ..Power

11. Mandyland
    Twitter: in_mandyland

This was such an interesting post! I’ve never met a hairless animal, but the way you describe your cat makes me want to.
    Mandyland´s last post ..The Storm – Part 2

12. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    Twitter: mommy_pants

Aww..what a sweet baby!

I like burying my face in my dogs’ fur, though. ;)

Yeah, no face burying with no fur. More of a dog thing too. Putting your face too close to a cat is just asking for trouble, even if they are sweet. :)

13. CDG
    Twitter: MoveOverMaryP

That is definitely a so-ugly-he’s-cute kinda cat.

And as long as there’s love? Who cares.

He’s just gorgeous.