I May Need To Rethink My Wardrobe

I’m a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. Pretty much, that’s what I wear. Every day. Sometimes I wear cords instead of jeans, but same diff.  And I wear tennis shoes.  Keds. I like them. They’re comfortable. It’s my momiform, no reason to dress up to chase after small children who like to smear stuff on me, including snot.

Yesterday, I changed it up a little bit. I wore ballet flats. A simple unadorned black pair.  Nothing fancy. Like sneakers, except not.

Well, Sam and Ella saw the shoes and  by the fuss they made, you’d have thought I was wearing a diamond encrusted tiara with rainbows and unicorns circling around my head.

“Mommy! I L-O-V-E your shoes!”

“Mommy! Your shoes are so pretty!”

“Mommy? Can I try on your shoes?”

When I took them off in the house and then we were getting ready to go out again I heard, “Mommy? Are you going to wear your pretty shoes?”

All of this, from a pair of ballet flats.

The take home message:  I may have become one of those moms who needs to reconsider her wardrobe a little. I thought I was doing pretty good since I don’t wear yoga pants all over the place.

Apparently not.   It may be time to go shopping for comfortable, practical, yet not frumpy clothes.

Anyone have any suggestions? Do you dress cute or are stuck in a momiform?

14 Responses to “I May Need To Rethink My Wardrobe”

1. Evonne
    Twitter: _MamaJules_

I’m usually a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl. Occasionally I jazz it up a bit and then my kids say things like I look so pretty. Perhaps I need to rethink my wardrobe, too.
    Evonne´s last post ..A Walk in the Rain

2. Ratz says:

I would wear an official outfit with sneakers… you got the wrong person! :-D
    Ratz´s last post ..A Voice

I am slowly trying to be more fancy. Very slowly. I am determined to be comfortable, which usually means not fancy.

Yeah, the comfortable thing gets in the way of fancy. I looked in my closet yesterday, and I really don’t have anything but t-shirts in there. The other things I wore during my 3 pregnancies and they’re a little stretched.

4. Moomser
    Twitter: moomser

I went to school in a uniform basically from birth to graduation and we had free dress fridays as seniors, and getting to wear whatever we wanted one day a week was extremely exciting, so the one day a week idea sounds fun. That said, the advantage of a momiform, apart from the comfortableness, is the not having to give up any precious sleep time to deciding what the heck you’re wearing that day. Not sure it’s really worth it.
    Moomser´s last post ..Virtual Coffee – II

5. Amanda says:

(New reader here – I am enjoying your blog!) I stay home with three kids too and and I thought putting on jeans meant I was dressing up. :)
    Amanda´s last post ..Alices Take on Natural Birth

6. colleen says:

You had me smiling at the line about rainbows and unicorns circling your head.:)

Hmm, love this topic. I like to dress up, not super fancy and always comfortable! But I do like wearing skirts and cute tops and LOVE scarves, huge earrings, bracelets…I sound shallow but I’m really not.:)

I enjoy color as well so even when wearing jeans and a tee, throw on a cute and bright cardigan with a lovely scarf and your ballet flats and you’ll quite impress you little girls I’m sure.:)

Good luck! I’m sure you’re lovely but it is fun to switch things up a bit.:)

7. Jen @ LitasWorld
    Twitter: litasworld

Same story here..I get inspired about once a month…well, once every other month to change up my “uniform” and the reaction is always huge. You’d think that would inspire me, right?! Among my jeans and yoga pants, I also have a pair of camo pants..oohhhh I just love them and swear I’d wear them every day if I could! which would be a bad, bad thing..and make that 1 day I dress differently stand out even more :)