Boys

Samantha will turn 5 in June. Almost every day I see her preschool self slipping away and I rarely get a glimpse of her toddler. There are times I find myself just amazed and fascinated to watch her development. There are times I want to be able to hold her and have her head fit in the crook of my neck just one more time.

There are almost no temper tantrums any more. Her whining has both been minimized and perfected. She has the annoying high frequency down pat. The way she moves has changed. She’s smoother, more deliberate, and slower.  She’s very independent and can get herself almost anything she needs.

I’ve seen changes in her socially as well. She has particular friends now. She’s not just friends with everyone in her class just because they’re in her class. She tells me school gossip now. Who’s fighting, who was mean, who got a time out, who’s sick.  Her world is expanding and I’m seeing that she knows not everything is about her and her wants.

The newest development is the boy/girl thing.  The distinction between the genders is becoming important to her. She says girls are better. When there are teams, it’s girls vs. boys now. I can see her identifying with me. She picks out outfits that match mine, at least in color scheme. She mimics me when I clean the house. I can see her studying me as her main female role model. (This scares me, by the way, but that’s not the point of this post.)

Then there’s the thing I thought would happen much later, like eight.  She likes boys. You know, like likes them. One day I asked her what she did at school and she told me she and two of her female classmates chased boys.

She’s four. She’s chasing boys. Isn’t that a grade school thing?  Second, third grade maybe. Four?

We were discussing her birthday party today and I asked her which classmates she wanted to invite. She listed off six girls and then hit me with Juan Jose, J.J. He’s six, she said, with a big, goofy grin. What!?!

I tried to play it off. I asked if she wanted to invite any other boys.  Nope, just Juan Jose. Again, with the goofy smile.

I believe my 4 year old has her first crush.  Four. My husband is freaking out a little bit. And by a little bit, I mean a lot. And to be honest, so am I. I’m not making a big deal about it in front of her, and we will invite Juan Jose if she still wants to in June, but still, she’s four.

We have three girls. They’re cute, if I do say so myself. Boys are going to be an issue. I just thought I’d have a little bit more of a warning.  More time.  Five is going to be a big year.

When did your little girls start “liking” boys? Any words of advice?

I’m participating in The Mom Pledge blog hop.
BWS tips button

15 Responses to “Boys”

Here’s my 2 cents- My nearly 7 yo seems to like all the kids, boys and girls. My not year 4 yo, is all about girls vs boys. I think it’s their personality.
    My neighbour’s little girl invited only 1 boy to the otherwise all girl party. I think it’s not such a big deal. That said, I would be curious to know what kind of tv shows the other kids are watching, maybe they have older siblings and are getting not age appropriate information.

I do think some of the other kids in her class with older siblings have definitely influenced her. There are a lot of third borns in her class. Just seeing Penny, I can tell 3rd borns learn a lot of stuff the older two never knew at such a young age. I’m going to try not to make a big deal about it, but man, can this growing up thing slow down a little? :)

2. Susie B. Homemaker
    Twitter: susiebhomemaker

Hi, I found your blog from Genie Girl Graphics blog and am now following. I’m a thirty-something stay at home mom of 3 girls also, ages 5 and under. :) When my oldest daughter started school (Young 4’s) she came home talking about a boy named Matthew, and all year long we heard about this boy. I was kind of shocked at first but then thought it was cute.

This year we changed schools and she has a new crush- Barrett. She draws pictures and talks about him ALL the time, lol. I think it’s just natural- I can remember having a crush on a boy when I was in Kindergarten.
    Susie B. Homemaker´s last post ..CSN Stores 40 Gift Code Giveaway!! Ends 4-2

I guess it’s just natural, but I was so not expecting it. It definitely took me by surprise.

Thanks for the follow, we seem to be leading parallel lives. :)

3. Kat says:

Our little girl is not going to be allowed to like boys until she is 30. ;) jk
    I can recall having crushes when I was in kindergarten. Mostly on my older boy cousins. Hmmm. Funny.
    My little girl has three very protective older brothers that are already incensed at the idea of her someday having boyfriends. Ha! Poor girl. She’ll never be able to date. Which is fine by my hubby. ;)

I love that your girl calls Juan Jose, JJ. She already has a nickname for him. Hehe.
    Good luck!

Here from RDC.
    Kat´s last post ..Friday Afternoon

4. Elizabeth Flora Ross
    Twitter: efloraross

Apparently, when I was in kindergarten, I chased a little boy named Steve around the playground trying to kiss him. My parents must have been REALLY scared. Thankfully, I did not continue that behavior as I got older. LOL

I don’t have any advice, since my only daughter is just 2. But you have scared me completely. Thanks a lot! ;P

5. Mama Track
    Twitter: MamaTrack

They grow too fast. If only we could freeze time….

6. jenny says:

loved your post, especially when you describe not seeing so many glimpses of the toddler and the preschooler anymore…I was just thinking the other day that my almost three-year-old is so very different today than she was six months ago. If this is what I have to look forward to with a little girl, oh my…i have a feeling she’s going to be on an equally fast track to boy craziness!

7. Rachel says:

The one and only time I got my name on the board was in kindergarten for chasing Tony Ryan around the room. Not long after that, boys were totally gross until about the end of elementary when it started to be cool to have a boyfriend. She just hasn’t realized yet that boys are gross, give her a couple years, and then when she hits late elementary, you’ll have to worry again. :P

I’d like to put a request in that it not return until late high school, maybe college. Think that’s possible?

• Rachel says:

Good luck. I’m sure Sean would like to put in the request until like 30. Let me know how that works haha.