iPad Envy

We got an iPad a couple weeks ago.  We’re going to Hawaii in a couple weeks and Sean thought it would be something to entertain the girls on the five hour plane rides.  So, um, yeah, we got an iPad for the kids.

I was pretty resistant to the idea.  I don’t really think a five and three year old need an iPad.  Plus, I’m a PC girl.  But, I have to admit, it’s been a pretty good thing.  There are educational games the girls love to play, it has books that read themselves to the girls, and a drawing pad for them to doodle on, mess free.  They really seem to enjoy it.  I think it will serve its purpose of entertainment.  Plus, we’re going to use it to check our e-mail and not lug our computers with us.  It packs well.

Here’s the thing, though, I’m a little jealous of the iPad.  It turns out, it’s a better mother than I am.  Seriously.  Here’s a list of ways it’s better than me:

1. Full of never ending games.

I tire of making up games and playing them pretty quickly.  The iPad just keeps pulling out more and more. And they’re educational. Math, reading, spelling, the iPad makes them fun.   If I do make up a game, odds are it involves the kids hiding and me not looking for them.  Not really educational.

2. Neat Crafts

I don’t like doing crafts because after five minutes the girls are bored with them and my house is covered in glue, glitter, and there’s crayon on the wall.   The iPad has this cute little drawing pad with colored pencils, crayons, markers, stickers, and stamps, all controlled with a finger. No mess at all.

3. Unending Story Time

I read books to the girls, but after two or three, I’m done.  Not the iPad. It just keeps going and going forever.  It will read the same book fifteen times in a row with the same enthusiasm.  Clearly it’s a better parent than I and cares more about my children’s future literacy.

4. Peace Keeper

I am constantly breaking up fights around here.  Someone has a doll and someone else wants it. Not one of the other bajillion dolls we have, but that one.  Someone got two more crackers in their bowl than someone else.  One wants the other one to have their hair washed first at bathtime.  So there’s lots of fighting and screaming and hair pulling. I bring the iPad out and they sit together nicely on the couch, taking turns picking what they want to do, and sharing. It never yells. It’s like it’s not even trying.

5. Nap Time

This is the worst one for me. It’s like the iPad is just twisting that knife in my heart for fun. Ella has not napped for me in at least six months.  She needs a nap and is cranky from 3 pm on without one, but she’s not going to miss anything.  In comes the iPad to show me up. Once it starts reading, Ella falls asleep after two stories.  No whining, no fighting, out cold for over an hour.

Happy, content children, raised by the iPad

I just can’t compete. I’m pretty sure the iPad is going to get my Mother’s Day cards. I knew I shouldn’t have brought an Apple product into this house.  A PC would never hurt me like this.

In other news, I’m guest posting today at Peace, Love, and Museli for the vacationing Kristin.  Go check out my Feel Good Friday post about being good enough.  I may need to re-read it to help me cope with the iPad.

Also, I’m the featured writer today at Studio30 Plus.  I’m confessing my mothering sins.

24 Responses to “iPad Envy”

1. Evonne
    Twitter: _MamaJules_

My husband and I have been talking about getting an iPad, maybe over the summer. After reading this, I’m not sure if I still want one. But on the other hand, maybe it will give me some peace and quiet over summer vacation!
    Evonne´s last post ..Just a craft

2. Alison@Mama Wants This
    Twitter: MamaWantsThis

LOL that was pretty funny!

Stopping by from TRDC.
    Alison@Mama Wants This´s last post ..How @Twitter has RuinedMyLife

3. Frelle
    Twitter: frelle

i can appreciate how modern conveniences do this! its funny but there is a sliver of truth there too :)
    Frelle´s last post ..She Was My Hero

This was cute!! I need an iPad to show me up now. You are a busy lady traveling all over the place today. Heading to the other places now.
    The Drama Mama´s last post ..The Unlikely Hero- Corruption

5. Sue Campbell says:

A PC is not capable of hurting you like an Apple product. But PCs hurt you in so many other ways…
    Sue Campbell´s last post ..May Day In the Valley of Love and Delight

I’m guessing you’re an Apple girl? :) It’s true though, my PC hurts me every time it crashes, which is unfortunately becoming more and more frequent.

6. Cheryl @ Mommypants
    Twitter: mommy_pants

Okay, great. Now I’m jealous of YOU and your iPad! I might have to push for one. How convenient Mother’s Day is coming up…

7. Jayne @ Mimi to Tee and Bee
    Twitter: oneinpurpose

I think I’m the only person in the world who only had an iPad for three hours because she hated it.

Glad it’s working out for you, though!

8. Amanda says:

“If I do make up a game, odds are it involves the kids hiding and me not looking for them.” LOL, I love it.

9. E.RaMona
    Twitter: iamErnee

I literally laughed out loud at the idea of the iPad getting your Mother’s Day cards…….you do know there is no real replacement for “Mommy” The iPad is a pale, (albeit entertaining and educational) comparison to you, the real thing!
    E.RaMona´s last post ..Saturday 9 – Lets Roll

10. Sandra says:

haha! I love this! However, I would also love an iPad, so if you’re ever feeling really replaced and looking for a new home for it…I’m just sayin’… :)
    Sandra´s last post ..Yes- I posted a picture of my toilet bowl

11. Jen @ Lita's World
    Twitter: litasworld

:) That was hysterical…I’m gonna admit, the iPad has saved me many a time with the Grandsons! :) aaahhh technology! it’s scary that they can make it do things I can’t….what secrets are the littles born with these days?!?

12. news says:

As you take these courses, real life scuba diving is carried out.
    Boracay has some of the best dive sites not only in the Philippines but in the world.
    Bright metals for murky waters will let fish attack without hesitation.
    news´s last post ..news

Trackbacks

1. […] already explained the iPad for the older two. I’ll also be bringing paper and crayons for them to draw on and some […]