The Power of A Popsicle

Sammy is a very shy child.  She has a tendency to not participate in things because of her shyness.  She hangs back at birthday parties and doesn’t play the games, she decided not to take dance lessons again because it meant she had to stay later at school, and I could hardly get her onto the soccer field last summer the whole season.

I was the same way and I know I missed out on a lot of fun. I don’t want that for her, so I’m always trying to find ways to get her to join in.

You can imagine my excitement when she asked to join basketball at school. It’s Thursday afternoons at school so she has to stay late. She said she wanted to. I said okay, thinking it was because her favorite teacher was teaching basketball and because a lot of her classmates were taking it.  Her dad was happy because basketball is his thing and he thought she wanted to be like him.

The first morning of basketball she woke up and jumped around saying it was basketball day.  She was so excited. When I kissed her goodbye at school, instead of clinging to me like she always does, she told me she’d see me after basketball and skipped away.

I breathed a sigh of relief. She was getting over her shyness and having fun.

I picked her up and asked her if she had fun at basketball.  She bounced all over, smiling, and said yes. I asked if she made some baskets. She said she did.  Then she volunteered her favorite part of basketball.

“We got a popsicle after basketball and got to eat it on the playground and if you didn’t play you didn’t get one.”

The light bulb turned on for me. She wanted a popsicle.

That’s okay. As long as she’s doing something willingly, a little bribery isn’t so bad.

*Photo via Flickr by Yamanize

12 Responses to “The Power of A Popsicle”

1. Grumpy Grateful Mom
    Twitter: grumpygrateful

My daughter Everette is also extremely shy around almost anyone other than our family. She isn’t even able to say hi back to someone when they speak to her. She just looks at the ground. She’s staring kindergarten this next year and I’ve been worried. Maybe I will try popsicles. :)
    Grumpy Grateful Mom´s last post ..Revenge of the Net!

Sammy’s the same way. She still doesn’t say hi or bye to the kids in her preschool class. She’s starting kindergarten in the fall too. Here’s hoping popsicles work for both of us. :)

The snack was the only part of soccer that Clarabel liked. She’s also really shy but does like to get active with other kids.

3. Ratz says:

For all that matters, Sammy might actually enjoy basketball and who knows she turns out to be Sammy the Super Star. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Ratz´s last post ..Maybe Sloth- TRDC Meme

4. Jen @ LitasWorld
    Twitter: litasworld

SMART!! Oh I’m so happy for here…I’m sure she’ll make a ton of friends on the team and gain confidence…yay Sammy…yay MOM!!
    Jen @ LitasWorld´s last post ..When Pops is away…

I agree. I love when bribery works. it gets veggies eaten in this house!
    The Drama Mama´s last post ..Crazy Days of Summer weekly photo challenge

I’m new to this bribery thing. Don’t know why it took me so long. Last night the promise of one M&M got them to pick up their toys.

6. Mike says:

Allegra’s husband here …

figgy is big on the popsicles too. Fell down & gashed her head open soon after Calcifer was born but the promise of a popsicle put that all to rest.

Wow, that is one good gash! It’s amazing what a popsicle can accomplish. Looks like yours was chocolate, even better. Thanks for stopping by!