Sex Ed

“All right, class, settle down.  Today’s class we’ll be continuing with our sex ed week by discussing birth control.”

Paige sank in her desk, pulling her hooded sweatshirt further over her lap. She looked sideways at her classmates squirming in their seats around her.

Mrs. Connor continued. “Now there are a variety of birth control options available. Some prevent pregnancy. Some prevent STDs. Who can tell me what STD stands for from Monday’s class?”

Uncomfortable giggles surrounded Paige who stared at her desk, avoiding eye contact with Mrs. Connor.  Blood rose to her face, shining through the halo of baby fine white blonde hair around her face.

“No one? STD stands for sexually transmitted disease.  Some forms of birth control prevent both pregnancy and STDs.”

Mrs. Connor pulled out a cardboard box and dropped it with a thud on her desk.

“I have a variety of samples to show you so you’ll know what everything is when you’re older.”

She rummaged through the box and pulled out a pink plastic disc. “Does anyone know what this is?”

There was awkward shifting around her as Paige opened her notebook to continue her doodling. Art was her favorite subject.  She drew hearts and butterflies surrounding curly cue words.

Paige+Aaron 4ever

Mrs. Paige Dillon

Mrs. Aaron Dillon

Mrs. Connor continued pulling items out of her box. The pill, a diaphragm. She said some women use them instead of tampons. The thought of having to put that thing in during that time of the month made Paige gag. There was some foam thing that looked like a bottle of Cheez Whiz.

Paige focused on her doodling.  Aaron was in her grade but in Mrs. Renold’s class.  She only got to see him during lunch.  Except after school.  They went to each other’s homes after school.  They watched television and stuff.

She was sure they would get married.  She had it all  planned out.  They could live in the garage her father had turned into a home gym.  It should be pretty easy to hook up a microwave and television in there.  They would get a puppy.  A yellow lab. She liked how friendly they looked on television. Her parents wouldn’t let her get a puppy.

A burst of laughter from the boys in the back startled Paige out of her daydream.  Mrs. Connor was holding up a banana and a wrapped condom.

“Now I’m going to demonstrate how to properly put on a condom,” she said, ripping the package open. “Condoms protect against both pregnancy and STDs.  The condom rolls on only one way.  You put it over the tip of the penis, leaving a little bit of the condom loose.  It’s not a glove. The semen needs some space to collect after ejaculation.  If you don’t leave a little room at the end, the condom could leak or tear and you could get an STD or become pregnant.”

The bell rang before Mrs. Connor had a chance to put the condom over the banana.

“All right, class.  The demonstration will have to wait ’til tomorrow. Go get your things ready for lunch and recess.”

Paige stood and pulled her sweatshirt down, crossing her arms in front of her.  That must have been what they did wrong, her and Aaron.  They must not have left room.  That’s why the condom tore.  She wished someone had told her earlier.

ConCrit always welcome and appreciated. Also, how do you like my new layout?

This post was prompted by The Red Dress Club writing prompt, “Let’s get all steamy up in here and write about sex. But you know us. There’s a twist. You can’t write about the act. I don’t want to read about any heaving bosoms or girded manhood (please tell me someone else giggled besides me). There are so many other possibilities. And I hope you have fun finding them.”

28 Responses to “Sex Ed”

1. Andrea
    Twitter: goodgirlgonered

Oh no. I had a feeling this was headed in this direction. :( Poor girl. Lunch and recess and worrying about ripped condoms and a boy who likely won’t want to live in her parents basement with her. I could feel a sense of sadness as she doodled, but had hoped it was a preemptive discussion, instead of post sex. Ah. Bummer. But great writing and really well worded. Made me want to hug the poor kid.

2. naomi says:

Loved this take on the prompt! I agree … great writing!

Unlike Andrea, I did not realize that she was already pregnant, so it was nice little surprise for me in the end. Love it!

4. Frelle
    Twitter: frelle

Great take on the prompt, to discuss the innocence and naiviete of a teen in the face of information on sex and pregnancy that the teen clearly was uninterested in hearing… but because she was already pregnant. Great ending!

5. Christine @ Quasi Agitato
    Twitter: csiracusa

Oh crap! They ‘watch TV and stuff.’ Exactly what I would have told my parents when they asked me what my HS boyfriend and I did over at his house.
    The teacher is also a great character…just forging ahead…determined to get this information out there.

I think that’s what a lot of us would say to our parents. :) The teacher was based on some of the ones I had. They were clearly uncomfortable and just plugged on, trying to get through it.

6. Shell says:

Poor thing! The teenage years frighten me when I think of things like this!

7. Carrie
    Twitter: Miss_Scarlett99

Okay, I remember this class when I was in grade 6 or 7….so this girl is in for a difficult life if she’s already pregnant!

Love this angle of the prompt and all the subtle details like her bringing the sweatshirt over her stomach in the beginning.

8. MJ from iNeedaPlaydate
    Twitter: marirene74

What a brilliant take on the writing prompt. I had to re-read it to make sure I got it… very clever!

9. Roxanne says:

I think you did a great job with this piece. You really captured her voice, the voice of someone young and innocent. And I felt the end was a little unexpected. In a good way! Wonderful job.

10. Galit Breen
    Twitter: galitbreen

Oh the karate chop at the end! As a mom, this really got me!

Excellent take on the prompt. I love the details, the way you captured teenage girlhood and again- the ending was perfect.

Hee. I was onto Paige from the start. It’s a great twist on the prompt.
    My only feedback is this- I’m a bit confused about her age. Sex Ed should happen before kids are sexually active. Is she really young or is Sex Ed really late?

I agree sex ed should happen early rather than later. My idea on her age was 5th-7th grade. We got the mechanics before than, but not the prevention. I always think about those newspaper articles I read about 10 year olds having sex. I have a coworker whose daughter started her period at 8, in school, having not had any sex ed yet. She thought she was dying. I always think how she could get pregnant without ever having had sex ed.

12. NotJustAnotherJennifer
    Twitter: MidwestMomments

Eek! I was afraid that’s where that was going! I was curious as to how old the kids were. I love how you captured how uncomfortable they all felt even with the teacher’s matter-of-fact approach.

I was going for 5th-7th grade. I got the “how to put a condom on” talk in 8th. We just learned how babies were made before then, not how to prevent making one.

13. sarah
    Twitter: sarahlipoff

Fantastic writing – you hooked me in and I didn’t see it coming. Great build-up to the reveal, and so sad in a way, too.

14. CDG @ Move Over Mary Poppins!
    Twitter: MoveOverMaryP

oh, this was hard to read, especially as I had a bad feeling about the ending–and to your credit, the bad feeling came on gradually, crept into my head.

a sad and scary turn on the prompt. well done.

Thank you. I’m glad it wasn’t too obvious where it was going. I try to work on that, leaving hints without making it obvious. It’s hard for me.