So, it’s time for me to be accountable again. Remember when I wrote about being accountable with my novel at the beginning of July? Where I said I would have a completed first draft by August 1? Time for me to come clean about it. I did not accomplish that goal. Sigh.
I did work on it though, so that’s a plus. I read it through. I cut out some scenes that don’t fit. I found the writing didn’t make me cringe (mostly) and some of it was actually pretty good. I learned I really like the ending.
I’ve been rereading some books about story structure and taking notes. I’m ready to outline so I can make it flow a little better. I also need to work in my subplots better. They all tie up really nicely in the end, but I found that I didn’t actually write much of them before the ending.
This last month and a half has been a continued learning experience, and I still enjoy the story and want to work on it.
My biggest dilemma right now is who is my main character. I have two women in the story. I started out writing what I thought would be a story about redemption, but this other woman maybe has more at stake, and she’s the one who ultimately stands up to my bad guy, albeit with the help of the first woman.
I need to work that out in the outline so I can tackle the rewrite with a solid, well-formed plan.
So, new goal, end of September have the outline done and be ready to start on the rewrite.