A Day At The Beach

This summer a major corner has been turned for me.  After five long years, my children are somewhat manageable in public.  Samantha listens and behaves herself, Ella is pretty good, and Penny. Well, two out of three is somewhat manageable.

This is huge for me because it means I can go places with all three of them and not stay confined to the house all the time.  We can go to small parks, the grocery store, even Target and the mall to run errands and get a few things done.  Plus, we all enjoy a little outing.

Even family time is becoming, dare I say it, fun.  I’m no longer stressed out trying to manage all the sippy cups, snacks, diapers, and potty breaks.  Samantha and Ella can do things now and be a little independent while doing them.

Case in point, we went to the beach for an extended family barbeque Sunday, and we had fun!  The girls love the ocean.  Samantha even tried boogey boarding for the first time in the surf.  They played in the waves, dug holes in the sand, and ran around with the other kids.   While Sean and I had to watch them, and obviously stay close while they were in the water, we didn’t have to be on top of them the whole day. We actually got to sit down and relax for a little while.

The girls ate their food relatively nicely without spilling all over.  We even did s’mores for the first time over the little fire pits at the beach.  Sammy and Ella toasted their own marshmallows.  Sammy was especially proud of herself for her culinary skills.

I feel like I’m on the cusp of the golden age of parenting.  That window when the kids are independent and fun but haven’t learned to talk back yet.  I think we’re all more than ready for a few beach days around here.

When did your kids start to get easier to manage? What age have you liked the best so far? What age would you never do again?

10 Responses to “A Day At The Beach”

Now that we’ve cleared the defiance of the 3yo, it’s kinda a golden age. The talking back business is starting sooner than I’d like however.
    Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli´s last post ..How Many Can You Eat?

I’ve heard the sass starts around 8. It’s a short window, but I’ll take it. Penny’s coming up on 2, so it may be short lived here, but I think she’ll be milder than Ella. I hope.

2. AZLB
    Twitter: azlb

I feel like after 5 they just keep getting better and better….though I had less attitude at 5!!!
    AZLB´s last post ..Blog Hop and Me!!!!

3. momof12 says:

I love all ages of kids. When my oldest hit her teens I was blindsided by the change. Now that I’ve put several through that age, I think I’m doing better with it.
    Sandy

4. Myne Whitman
    Twitter: Myne_Whitman

Very insightful post. My first time here and I love your writing.
    Myne Whitman´s last post ..Platform Building Campaign for writers

5. Amy Hacker says:

Had no idea you had a blog! Very cool. I am loving age 7 and almost 5. They can do pretty much anything we want to do, need no naps or special food brought along and are just a lot of fun right now. And the way their minds work and the questions they pose right now is really great to experience.

Also like your entry on the vegan thing. People question me all the time too about why I’m a vegetarian when no one else in my family is. My kids are little meat eaters for now and I’m good with that. As they’ve gotten older they’ve talked to me more about it so we’ll see what happens in the future.

You found my secret blog. :) I can’t wait for no naps or special food. And no diapers. That will be a good thing. I think it’s just going to keep getting easier until the teenage years.

I think letting the kids choose what they want to eat works best for us too. They’re too little to understand the health and ethical implications of a vegetarian/vegan diet right now. But I expect discussions in the future too. We’ll see what happens.
      Jessica Anne´s last post ..The Playroom is Done (Mostly)