The Playroom is Done (Mostly)

Six weeks ago I wrote about the kids sharing a room permanently. We moved them in together in order to make Penelope’s room a play room.  Finally, we sold the baby furniture, gave my sister-in-law back her rocking chair, and got a bookshelf to store things.

Last week I moved all the toys out of the living room into the play room.  Now our bookcase looks like this:

6 empty shelves and one empty drawer

It was then I realized, our kids have a lot of crap.  I mean, seriously, 6 shelves? Really?  They also had stuff on top of the two armoires in our bedroom, and on top of a cabinet in the dining room.  I was determined to get it into the playroom and out of my sight.

And I did.  I bought a large bookcase from Ikea that hopefully will change function from toys to books or whatever else big kids use with time.  So now, our playroom looks like this:

seriously with the junk

If you haven’t read about my cautionary tale about Ella almost being crushed by her dresser, read the link. Suffice it to say, that bookcase will be secured to the wall this weekend and the girls have been threatened with serious time outs and punishments if they are ever seen climbing it.

and the other side of the room:

all of this was in my living room

And that one useless corner behind the door now has a hanging thing for stuffed toys.  I have another one I’m going to put up too.

the diaper pail too

Now everyone is happy.  The girls have room for all their stuff and can reach it without having to ask. I have reclaimed our house for some grown-up space.  And most importantly, there are doors I can close when I don’t want to look at all the toys anymore.

12 Responses to “The Playroom is Done (Mostly)”

That looks great. We IKEA’ed out the kids room too. I added one small box of 4 on top of the big one, for stuff to keep out of reach.
    Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli´s last post ..Sci Fi Style: What’s The Future Of Our Health?

2. Amanda says:

It’s a never-ending challenge to have some grown-up space in our house too. The playroom looks great. I would like to have something similar one day.

3. Moomser
    Twitter: moomser

Oh, so jealous of your playroom, looks great! I can’t wait to be able to shut a door on the mess (and noise)… someday…
    Moomser´s last post ..Up, up and away! (Would you like to buy a watch?)

4. Nora would kill for all that pink and purple.
    Sue @ Mommy’s Pen´s last post ..Coasting on a Compliment

5. Ali says:

every time that other kids saw our playroom for the first time, they were in awe that it was /just/ a play room, nobody’s bedroom. :) my dad made three little tables so we would each have our own craft/storage space. i loved it, and it wasn’t half as pretty as your girls’. :) did you do all of the clouds, butterflies, etc? so cute!

I don’t think it’s quite sunk in that the room is just for toys. Or maybe they’re miffed because they’re confined to just one room. :) I’d love to get them each a little art/homework area.

I did do all the “artwork” aka stenciling myself when I was pregnant with Ella. It went with the crib set I picked out.
      Jessica Anne´s last post ..Smelly Diaper Pail Solutions

6. Jen @ Lita's world
    Twitter: litasworld

Beautiful!!! you have now motivated me to deal with some issues in design in our house. I used to love to just close the door on our girl’s rooms…took away some of the stress for a while :) I love the colors and the painting in the playroom!!!
    Jen @ Lita’s world´s last post ..This Past Week’s Fun in Malibu