My New Year Resolution

It was my birthday Saturday.  Since my birthday is in December, I like to make my resolutions on my birthday for the next year, I figure it’s close enough to the start of the new year, and it’s like starting fresh for my birthday.  Some times I have a big list, sometimes a little one, sometimes it’s more of an area I want to focus on.

This year is an area, but it’s a big one.  I’m going to take better care of myself.  I have been really bad about doing that this last year.  I have a lot of little people and a husband and a house and too many pets and whatever else to take care of, that I’ve been putting myself off.  That’s not good for me and it’s really been affecting me.  I need to put myself on the priority list somewhere other than the bottom.

So I plan to eat better, and not skip meals since that leads to me not eating well.  I plan to exercise since that makes me happier and it’s good for me.  I plan to read, because I like to.  I plan to write, because I need to. I also plan on not cleaning my house as much.  It’s getting in the way of me and it certainly doesn’t care if it gets demoted.

Mostly, I need to refocus on what really needs to be done versus what I think really needs to be done (see how cleaning fits in there).

Also, I resolve to not write another one of these posts at the end of December.  That doesn’t need to be done.

What are your tricks for taking care of yourself?

10 Responses to “My New Year Resolution”

I learned during NaNo that making time during the day to accomplish some of my personal goals made me much cheerier. So I’m going carry on with that.
    And for the love of Pete I have to start going to bed earlier.

Also, how did I miss your Birthday? Hope it was super duper happy.
    Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli´s last post ..5 Reasons To Drink More Water.

I had forgotten that NaNo lesson. Time to do something for myself every day. And the bed thing.

I don’t generally mention my birthday, but it was a nice one, mostly. :)

2. Amanda says:

Regular hair appointments, buying new makeup, hair products and clothes once in a while. If I had endless funds, I would also get regular pedicure and massage appointments. I’ve been good about my hair and makeup. Clothes aren’t a high priority since I am pregnant and I have enough maternity clothes. And the pedicures/massages never happen.

Cleaning the house actually makes me feel better, so I have it high on my list. I really wish I didn’t care about this because that would save me a lot of time. Exercising is up there too, but I’m cutting myself some slack with this at the moment.

I have a neighborhood babysitter come over twice/week for a couple of hours that I am sure to get some “me” time. Sometimes I get this time on my own, but it’s nice to have a guarantee of this when I’m having an especially hectic week.

And Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!
    Amanda´s last post ..The Codependent Toddler

I’m working on the regular hair appointments, it really does make a difference. I have someone twice a week too, but I waste my time cleaning, so I’m changing that. Thanks for the Birthday wishes, it was a nice day. :)

3. A Liu says:

Happy birthday! It’s really hard to get in time for yourself with little kids. I used to feel guilty for having the baby in day care (4 year old is in preschool) for 2 days a week when I’m only working sporadic relief days but it allows me to get all the housework and cooking done, plus fit in some time to exercise or just relax a bit. I’ve realized having some me time really makes me happier overall and better able to be an effective parent.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Yep, I’m starting to realize no me time makes me a grumpy mom. I have someone a couple days a week, but I need to do something for me, not clean the house when she’s around.

Happy belated Birthday! It’s a good resolution, one I need to incorporate in my life too, in other ways.
    The Drama Mama´s last post ..Momentum

5. Jen @ Lita's World
    Twitter: litasworld

Happy Birthday!! My Daughter Libby’s birthday was Saturday too!! – all the girls in this family have birthdays in December…keeps us hoppin’ around here. Oh I wish I could say I always keep my resolutions…you know what seems to help..blogging about them – like you just did. Somehow it makes me feel more accountable. Not sure why, but it seems to work! Hope you had a great day!!
    Jen @ Lita’s World´s last post ..Green Tip Tuesday – Liquid Dishsoap

6. Jessica Anne says:

Is yours in December too? Penny’s is the 11th. Definitely putting it out there for everyone to see helps with the motivation.