The Rules

We had our first family meeting yesterday.  It was serious business brought about by my hoarse voice at the end of the day from all the yelling I’m doing.  I don’t like to yell.  It’s no fun.  The kids don’t like to be yelled at.  Seems everyone’s in agreement that I shouldn’t yell.  The problem is, no one listens to me or follows directions until I start yelling.  So we had a family meeting and laid down the rules.  I noticed  a rule list in Samantha’s kindergarten that seems to work well, so I copied the idea. Here they are:

1. Follow directions the first time

2. Help each other

3. Use good manners

4. Share with each other

5. Respect each other and each other’s things

6. If you can do it by yourself, do it

7. No whining

Those cover the big issues we’re having difficulties with right now.  I wrote the rules down and posted it on the wall of our main room for quick referral.  I’m looking forward to invoking number 6 when the big girls want me to wipe their bottoms.

Day 1 went well.  If they were breaking a rule, we reminded them of the rule.  Infractions that aren’t corrected with a reminder result in a time out, spanking (daddy’s rule), and/or loss of things/privileges.  By the end of the day, Samantha was telling people which rule they were breaking.  We’ll see how it works.

Do you have a list of rules in your house? Any rules I’ve missed that work well for you?  How do you get your kids to listen to you?

6 Responses to “The Rules”

1. Kristin

I like your rules, very much. I’d add no playing, jumping or bringing toys into my bed.

The not listening is enough to make a mother pull her armpit hair out with tweezers.
    Kristin´s last post ..I Chose The Lonely Road

That is a good rule. I’d love to have my room off limits, but my husband facilitates their shenanigans.

I agree with the not listening. That ultimately prompted the rules in the first place.

2. ali says:

i remember having a “no whining” sign in the kitchen when i was growing up. i think it was invoked just as much when we were older and complaining about doing the dishes. :) look forward to the day when you have your own nightly cleaning crew: my mom put my sisters and i on a weekly rotation, one to set and clear the table, one to load the dishwasher, and one to unload it.

I cannot wait until they’re cleaning up the place. I have big plans for my forced laborers :). I like the sign too. I may borrow that. You can never remind too often about no whining.

3. Jen @ LitasWorld
    Twitter: litasworld

Great idea!!! Funny, my husband was an elementary teacher for 36 years and ran his classroom so amazingly, but when he got home he brought none of that with him!!! Kinda frustrating let me tell you!! I used to feel like no one listened to me until I cracked and freaked out on them :) Now, I must say, I enjoy watching my Grandsons bring it all back around! You have quite a ways to go for that, but I promise what you teach them now you will see them apply when they’re older and when they’re parents. Then, you’ll also see your grandkids act just like they do. I know it all seems so huge now when you’re in it, but it’s all kid stuff – though I must admit I was the perfect child and was always a complete angel…heehee :)
    Jen @ LitasWorld´s last post ..Wordless Wednesday – Blossoms

That is funny your husband didn’t bring it back home. I always figured teachers had very well managed children at home. I was perfect too! Funny how that works. :) I will definitely enjoy the watching my girls deal with their own children, and then leaving after I’ve hopped them up on sugar. :)